One of the first things I changed when trying to live a more sustainable lifestyle was make-up wipes.
I used to use them everyday to remove my make-up. I like to wear waterproof mascara as I tend to rub my eyes quite a lot and end up looking like a panda if I don’t use the waterproof stuff! I found the makeup wipes always did a good job of taking the mascara off, but I was using one or two wipes every day and throwing that plastic away every single day and wanted to change that.
I knew the reusable option had to be good enough to remove my stubborn mascara to save me from waking up looking like Tim Minchin in the morning!
It’s taken me a little while of experimenting to find the perfect make-up remover for me.
I used to use just straight coconut oil which worked really well to start off with. After a while though, I found my face was really oily in the mornings and my pores were filling up! So I had to start looking again.
This make-up remover uses Witch Hazel which has so many skin benefits including reducing inflammation and tightening pores. It does contain coconut oil, but it not being straight onto my skin has helped stop that oily feeling! Woohoo!
Here’s my guide on how to make your own below.
- A reusable sealed container
- Reusable face pads – these ones are 100% cotton and hand crocheted in the UK and are completely plastic free, including the packaging!
- 1/2 cup of distilled water (boiled and cooled down again)
- 1 tbsp Witch Hazel
- 2 tbsp Coconut Oil, Sweet Almknd Oil or BioOil
- 1 tbsp Baby Shampoo or Castile Soap
- 20 – 30 drops of your chosen Essential Oils. I used, 5 drops of Tee Tree, 10 drops of Lavender and 15 drops of Grapefruit
- Melt the coconut oil in a jug if using.
- Pour all of the ingredients in with the oil and whisk to combine.
- Place your face pads into your reusable container and pour the mixture over the top.
- Seal your container and tip it upside down to ensure all of your pads are covered in the solution.
- Leave for 5 minuets to make sure all the pads are saturated.
- Now you can either tip out the excess water to have moist wipes or leave the water in and just squeeze the excess off each time you use them.
- They are now ready to use!
The mixture will last up to 1 month.
I prefer to use the Sweet Almond Oil as I like the way it leaves my skin feeling super moisturised and it can also help to lift dark marks.
The Coconut Oil is also really great for some people’s skin, however it can block pores up if it’s used too much. It is also a solid at room temperature so there will be some lumps on the pads, but I just rub these in while I’m using the remover.
Let me know how you find them in the comments below!